Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Redeeming the Executioner

In another life I was an Animal Control Officer.  I campaigned really hard to get that job.  There were lots of tests and interviews.  I scored high in the first round, but they hired someone with vet's office experience.  I didn't have any experience other than my own love of animals.  Well, I should really say my mother's influence for taking in the wounded & strays :)


About 6 months after the first interview, I got a call back for another interview.  I had already taken a long term assignment as a temporary employee with the City of Ventura in the Accounting Department, which I readily gave up for the chance to work for Animal Control.


It wasn't an easy job.  And being the new kid, I got stuck with a lot of the crap work & shifts.  We all had to do our 2 week rotations with the various tasks.....overnights, kennel, quarantine, vet's office, and my favorite ::read with a facetious smile:: the barnyard.  I didn't mind the horses, chicken, llamas, or even the dead blotted sheep that I had to transport with out exploding....but the goats were another story.  Those fuckers were mean!


We also had to do our 2 week rotation in the "green room."  That's where the euthanizing took place.


For the most part, it was a happy room.  Well, we tried to make it a happy room.  Some senior officers liked music, some like quiet, some liked others to stop by, and some just wanted the 2 of us in there.


Being the newbie, it was my responsibility to hold the animals for the injections.  Dogs got a main line in the front right leg.  Cats got a belly shot.  The one thing they all got when I held them was unconditional love.


It's been 20 years since I had that job.  The memory of the first animal I cradled in my arms as it passed is still as vivid as the moment it happened.


On any given day during the spring, we euthanized 75+ animals.


I have this particular knack for pissing people off.  And apparently I pissed off the director's girlfriend.  I started to notice that I kept getting worse & worse assignments, and I spent more than my fair share of time in the "green room."  My husband at the time lovingly called me the Executioner.  Odd thing is, to this day, I remember most of the animals that I euthanized.  Although none stick out in my head as much as the large white samoyed-mix that he used to play with when he would come keep me company when I got stuck out in the BFE office in Simi Valley. 


I cried quietly into the dog's neck as I held his arm out for the injection, and whispered words of love into his ear as he went limp in my arms.  I carried his 70+ pound lifeless body to the freezer by myself and carefully placed him in the 55 gallon drum.  I visited him a few times as he sat waiting for the D&D truck to come pick up the drums.  I dreaded going home & telling my husband that his playmate was gone.


I don't recall too much more about the job after that day.  In fact, I got fired.  I got my 3-month evaluation almost 2 months late, but it was still within the 6-month time frame where they can let you go for any reason & don't have to tell you.  Considering I was in the minority....being one of 3 heterosexual females in a department that was pre-dominantly not and was 95% female....it didn't surprise me.  Especially since I continued to piss off the director's girlfriend.  I don't do "office politics" well :)


What brings up all these memories?  I have decided to volunteer with our local Humane Society. I started orientation & training yesterday.  I didn't expect to be hit with such overwhelming emotions walking through the facility.  It was definitely a strange feeling.  


I was talking to my friend about it & realized that I had stayed away from this type of situation all these years.  I suppose there's lots of things that I could have chosen to volunteer for....but this feels right.


Part of the healing process <3

3 comments:

  1. Nice but sad story. Thanks for sharing.

    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a strong person you are! Thank you for being there for those animals when people like me wouldn't be able to, and thank you again for the time and energy you are putting in at the Humane Society. I think you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you <3

    The real thanks should probably go to the ASPCA & Sarah McLachlan. I feel horrible turning off the commercials, but they're too much to bear sometimes.

    ReplyDelete